Beet and Tomato Salad
Slices of roasted beets and fresh beefsteak tomatoes are dressed with shallot vinaigrette and fresh oregano to create a colorful and flavorful salad.
- 2 medium beets (about 1 pound total), scrubbed
- 2 teaspoons plus 3 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 2 teaspoons red-wine vinegar
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 3 medium beefsteak tomatoes, sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano leaves
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Place beets on a large piece of foil on a baking sheet. Top with 2 teaspoons oil and season with salt and pepper. Fold foil around beets and crimp ends to form a packet. Roast beets on sheet until tender when pierced with a knife, 45 minutes to 1 hour. Remove beets from foil and let cool, then peel and cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices.
In a small bowl, whisk together remaining 3 teaspoons oil, shallot, and vinegar; season with salt and pepper. On a large platter, arrange beets and tomatoes, and season with salt and pepper. Drizzle with dressing and sprinkle with fresh oregano leaves.
SourceEveryday Food, September 2010