Make tabbouleh -- a traditional Middle Eastern dish of bulghur wheat mixed with chopped tomatoes, parsley, mint, olive oil, and lemon juice -- for a healthy and delicious meal on the go. Also Try: Provencal Green Salad
- 1/3 cup bulghur wheat
- 2 small plum tomatoes, finely chopped, with their juice
- 1/2 English cucumber, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley (about 2 medium bunches)
- 1 scallion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh mint
Soak bulghur in cold water for 1 hour, 45 minutes. Drain in a sieve lined with damp cheesecloth; squeeze out all water. Transfer to a serving bowl; fluff with a fork.
Stir in tomatoes with juice, cucumber, parsley, and scallions. Add lemon juice, salt, and oil; season with pepper. Toss to coat. Just before serving, stir in mint.