Under 30 Minutes
Garden Salad with Yogurt Cheese
Making your own yogurt cheese is easier than you may think; all it takes is a little time. It will be ready in three hours, or you can make it before you go to bed and let it drain overnight.
- 7 ounces Greek yogurt (whole milk or 2 percent)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons red-wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 3 radishes, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 plum tomatoes, halved and thickly sliced
- 1 Kirby cucumber, unpeeled, thinly sliced
- 4 cups chopped hearts of romaine lettuce
- Whole-wheat pita bread (optional)
In a small sieve lined with a dampened paper towel and set over a bowl, drain the yogurt in the refrigerator until it is thick and has the consistency of soft cheese, about three hours.
To make the dressing, combine the oil, vinegar, mint, and salt and pepper in a small container with a tight-fitting lid. Refrigerate.
In a large container with a tight fitting lid, place radishes, tomatoes, and cucumber; over vegetables with waxed paper, and then place lettuce on top of them. Cover the container and refrigerate.
To serve, remove waxed paper, shake dressing to combine, and pour over salad. Add crumbled yogurt cheese; toss to combine. Serve with pita bread, if desired.
SourceBody+Soul, March 2006