Garden Salad with Yogurt Cheese
Crisp greens with fresh vegetables and tangy yogurt cheese provide the protein and fiber you need at lunchtime.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 2
Photography: Dana Gallagher
Source: Body+Soul, March 2006
- 7 ounces Greek yogurt (whole milk or 2 percent)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons red-wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 3 radishes, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 plum tomatoes, halved and thickly sliced
- 1 Kirby cucumber, unpeeled, thinly sliced
- 4 cups chopped hearts of romaine lettuce
- Whole-wheat pita bread (optional)
In a small sieve lined with a dampened paper towel and set over a bowl, drain the yogurt in the refrigerator until it is thick and has the consistency of soft cheese, about 3 hours.
To make the dressing, combine the oil, vinegar, mint, and salt and pepper in a small container with a tight-fitting lid. Refrigerate.
In a large container with a tight fitting lid, place radishes, tomatoes, and cucumber; over vegetables with waxed paper, and then place lettuce on top of them. Cover the container and refrigerate.
To serve, remove waxed paper, shake dressing to combine, and pour over salad. Add crumbled yogurt cheese; toss to combine. Serve with pita bread, if desired.