Double Chocolate Pistachio Biscotti
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 4 ounces bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup Dutch-process cocoa powder
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup whole shelled pistachio nuts or blanched almonds, lightly toasted
- 1 cup golden raisins
Heat oven to 350 degrees. Melt butter and chocolate in double boiler set over, but not touching, simmering water. Stir until smooth.
Sift together cocoa, flour, baking powder, and salt. In electric mixer, beat sugar and eggs on medium speed until lightened. Add vanilla. On low speed, add chocolate mixture, then flour mixture. Stir in nuts and raisins. Dough will be soft.
Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface. Form two 9-inch-long-by-3 1/2-inch-wide logs on parchment-lined baking sheet.
Bake until dough sets, 30 minutes. Cool 15 minutes. Reduce oven to 275 degrees. Cut dough on diagonal into 1/2-inch slices; place cut side down on baking sheet. Bake 20 minutes. Turn over; bake 20 minutes, until slightly dry. Let cool on wire rack. Store in airtight container.