- 1 (750 ml) bottle dry red wine, such as Pinot Noir or Zinfandel
- 1 (750 ml) bottle port
- 2 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups Cognac, brandy, rum, or vodka
- Zest of 1 orange, cut into strips
- 10 cardamom pods
- 2 sticks cinnamon
- 10 whole cloves
- 5 slices peeled fresh ginger
- Granulated sugar
- 10 teaspoons raisins
- 10 teaspoons blanched almonds
In a nonreactive saucepan, mix together wine, port, 2 cups water, Cognac, orange zest, cardamom, cinnamon sticks, cloves, and ginger. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat; immediately reduce heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool. Cover and refrigerate for at least 12 hours and up to 24 hours.
Strain wine mixture and discard solids. Reheat wine mixture over low heat (do not boil) and stir in enough sugar to reach desired taste. Add 1 teaspoon raisins and 1 teaspoon almonds to each of 10 mugs; fill mugs with wine mixture and serve.
SourceThe Martha Stewart Show, November 2010