Make a Bolognese Sauce
The Maccioni family runs Le Cirque and Osteria Del Circo, two of New York's celebrated restaurants, and the menu bears the distinctive stamp of co-owner Egidiana Maccioni. This version is Egi's favorite way to prepare the Italian classic, and is adapted from "The Maccioni Family Cookbook."
- Servings: 6
Source: The Martha Stewart Show
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small carrot (about 3/4 cup), peeled and grated
- 1 stalk celery (about 1/2 cup), finely chopped
- 1 large red onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1/3 pound ground beef
- 1/4 pound ground pork
- 2 cups canned peeled whole tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream, (optional)
Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add carrots, celery, and onion; cook for 2 minutes. Add beef and pork; cook, stirring occasionally, until meat is nicely browned, 15 to 20 minutes. Add tomatoes, tomato paste, and 1/4 cup water, and season with salt and pepper. Cook, covered, over low heat, stirring occasionally, for 1 hour. Remove from heat; stir in heavy cream, if desired. Serve immediately or store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.