Vanilla Cabinets with Fresh Fruit
Thick milk shakes are called "cabinets" in Rhode Island.
- 6 ounces (1 3/4 cups) raspberries, plus more for garnish
- 4 ounces strawberries, stemmed and quartered (1 cup), plus more for garnish
- 5 ounces (1 cup) pitted whole cherries, plus more for garnish
- 3 1/2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 16 ounces (4 cups) blueberries, plus more for garnish
- 2 quarts vanilla ice cream, softened
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Combine raspberries, strawberries, cherries, 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice, and 1/4 cup sugar in a small saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until berries release their juices, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a bowl, and refrigerate until cold.
Combine remaining 2 teaspoons lemon juice and 1/4 cup sugar with 2 cups blueberries in a small saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until berries release their juices, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a bowl. Let cool completely. Stir in remaining 2 cups blueberries, cover, and refrigerate until cold.
Whisk ice cream, milk, and vanilla in a large bowl. Spoon 1/4 cup of either fruit mixture into the bottom of a glass. Top with milk shake. Repeat with remaining fruit and milk shake. Garnish milk shakes with fresh fruit, and serve immediately.
SourceMartha Stewart Living, July 2008