Sea Turtle Ice Cream Cake
Scoops of mint-chocolate-chip ice cream form the shell of this cool sea turtle. Peeking out through white candy eyes (with chocolate pupils) and flashing a black-licorice grin, this is one turtle who is not too shy to come to the party.
- Yield: Makes one 10-inch cake
- 3 1/2 quarts mint-chocolate-chip ice cream
- Vanilla Bowl Cake
- 1 large scoop chocolate ice cream
- 2 small round white candies such as Mentos and M&Ms, for decorating
- Black licorice laces, for decorating
- 4 chocolate-mint wafer cookies (1 1/2-inch round), for decorating
- 1 tablespoon chocolate chips, melted and cooled, for decorating
Line a rimmed baking sheet with plastic wrap. Scoop out 2 1/2 quarts mint-chocolate-chip ice cream (about thirty-five 1 1/2-ounce scoops), and place on prepared baking sheet; refreeze for at least 45 minutes.
Meanwhile, soften remaining 1 quart mint-chocolate-chip ice cream; set aside. Line a 12-cup bowl with plastic wrap; freeze briefly, then fill with the scoops of ice cream, rounded side down, to extend beyond rim (fill in gaps with extra).
Place Vanilla Bowl Cake, flat-side up, over ice cream scoops, then spread softened mint-chocolate-chip ice cream on top using an offset spatula. Cover with plastic wrap, and refreeze for at least 4 hours.
Unmold ice cream cake onto a serving platter. Using a 2 1/2-ounce ice cream scoop, carve a niche into the edge of the turtle shell; nestle a scoop of chocolate ice cream into niche for the head. Decorate head using black licorice for the mouth and nose and white candy for the eyes (using the blunt end of a skewer, dot melted chocolate onto the white candies for pupils). Tuck chocolate-mint wafers under cake for feet. Serve immediately.