Eggplant Puree with Yogurt
- 3 eggplants, about 1 1/2 pounds total
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/4 cups plain whole milk yogurt, preferably Greek-style yogurt
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 cloves, garlic crushed
- Coarse salt
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley, (optional)
- 1 tablespoon pomegranate seeds, (optional)
Preheat broiler. Using a sharp knife, prick eggplants in 3 to 4 places with the point of the knife so that they will not burst. Place eggplants on a baking sheet, and place under the broiler. Broil, turning occasionally, until skins are black and blistered and very soft when you press them. Remove, and let cool.
When cool enough to handle, peel eggplants and place them in a colander to drain. When drained, roughly chop flesh and return to the colander. Mash flesh with a fork until smooth and let drain.
Transfer flesh to a medium bowl. Add oil, yogurt, and lemon juice; stir until thoroughly combined. Stir in garlic and salt. Transfer to a serving bowl, and garnish, if desired, with parsley and pomegranate seeds. Serve cold.