Steamed Eggplant and Mushrooms with Peanut Sauce
This filling vegetarian dish gets Asian flavor from rice vinegar, soy sauce, and ginger.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 4
Source: Everyday Food, July/August 2005
- 6 Japanese eggplants (about 2 pounds total), sliced into 1-inch-thick rounds
- 1 pound shiitake mushrooms, stems discarded, caps halved
- 3 tablespoons smooth peanut butter
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons finely grated, peeled, fresh ginger
- 1 to 2 tablespoons light-brown sugar
- Coarse salt
- Cooked rice, for serving (optional)
- 4 scallions, cut into 2-inch lengths and thinly sliced lengthwise
Fill a large pot with about 1 inch water; bring to a boil. Add eggplant and mushrooms. Reduce heat to medium-high; steam until tender, 8 to 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, place peanut butter in a small bowl. Gradually whisk in vinegar, then soy sauce, ginger, brown sugar, and 1 teaspoon salt until smooth.
With a slotted spoon, transfer steamed eggplant and mushrooms to a large bowl. Add scallions and peanut sauce; toss gently to coat. Serve with rice, if desired.