Bran Muffins with Pineapple
These pineapple-bran muffins can be frozen for up to 2 months. To serve, thaw, then toast if desired.
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup wheat bran
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, (spooned and leveled)
- 3/4 cup whole-wheat flour (spooned and leveled)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/2 cup plain low-fat yogurt
- 1/4 cup packed dark-brown sugar
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 large egg
- 1 can (20 ounces) pineapple chunks, drained and chopped
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two 12-cup muffin pans with 18 paper liners. Soak raisins in 1 cup hot water until soft, about 10 minutes; drain raisins and transfer to a food processor. Puree until smooth, about 30 seconds.
In a medium bowl, combine bran, flours, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In a large bowl, stir together yogurt, brown sugar, molasses, butter, egg, and raisin puree. Add dry ingredients and stir to combine; fold in pineapple. Divide batter evenly among liners. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center of a muffin comes out clean, about 25 minutes, rotating pans halfway through.