Polenta Wedges with Asparagus and Mushrooms
A small amount of cream is all it takes to make these mushrooms taste luxurious.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 4
Source: Everyday Food, January/February 2010
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 pound cremini mushrooms, trimmed and sliced 1/4 inch thick
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 3/4 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- Polenta, chilled, cooked, and cut into 8 wedges
- 1 pound asparagus, trimmed (stalks peeled if tough)
Heat broiler, with rack 5 inches from heat. In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Add broth and cook until reduced by half, about 4 minutes. Stir in cream and cook 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
Place a rimmed baking sheet in oven to heat, 5 minutes. Pat polenta wedges dry with a paper towel and lightly brush both sides with 1 1/2 teaspoons oil. Toss asparagus with 1/2 teaspoon oil.
Carefully place asparagus on one half of hot sheet and season with salt and pepper; place polenta on other half of sheet.
Broil until polenta is golden brown and asparagus is crisp-tender, about 6 minutes, rotating sheet and tossing asparagus halfway through. Serve polenta wedges with asparagus and creamy mushrooms.