Mixed Greens with Marinated Red Onions and Sunflower Seeds
- Servings: 4
Source: Annual Recipes 2004
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 tablespoons plus 2 Teaspoons low-sodium soy sauce, or tamari
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 2 small red onions, sliced as thinly as possible into rounds
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 ounces mixed salad greens, such as arugula, mizuna, and watercress
- 4 teaspoons raw sunflower seeds
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds
In a medium bowl, combine 1 tablespoon lime juice, 1 tablespoon soy sauce, and 1 teaspoon honey. Add onion; toss to coat. Cover with plastic wrap; marinate at room temperature up to 2 hours or in the refrigerator up to 5 days.
When ready to serve, make dressing: In a small bowl, combine remaining tablespoon lime juice with remaining 2 teaspoons soy sauce and 1 teaspoon honey. Slowly add oil in a steady stream, whisking until emulsified. Place greens in a salad bowl. Using tongs or a slotted spoon, transfer onions to salad bowl, draining off excess marinade. Pour dressing over salad mixture in bowl. Add sunflower and sesame seeds; toss to combine. Serve immediately.