Black-Bean and Brown-Rice Cakes
These flavorful vegetarian cakes are easy to prep. Serve with a green salad and chips and salsa for a complete meal.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 4
Source: Everyday Food, January/February 2010
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 large scallions, coarsely chopped
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3/4 cup cooked brown rice
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup plain low-fat yogurt
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh cilantro, plus leaves for serving
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
Preheat oven to 450 degrees. In a food processor, pulse half the beans with scallions, jalapeno, and cumin until a chunky paste forms. In a large bowl, combine bean puree with rice and remaining beans; season with salt and pepper. Divide mixture into eight 3-inch-wide patties. (To freeze, wrap individually in plastic and freeze up to 2 weeks; thaw before cooking.)
Brush a rimmed baking sheet with oil; place in oven to heat, 5 minutes. Carefully place patties on hot sheet; bake until bottoms are golden brown, 10 to 12 minutes, rotating sheet halfway through. Let rest on sheet 5 minutes before removing.
Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine yogurt, cilantro, and lime juice; season with salt and pepper. Serve patties topped with yogurt sauce and cilantro leaves.