Orange Flavored Scallops
While stir-frying, constantly stir and toss ingredients.
- 1 pound sea scallops
- 3/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice, (3 oranges)
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger, plus 3 tablespoons julienned ginger
- 1 1/2 tablespoons rice-wine vinegar
- 4 sections orange peel, each 1 by 1 1/2 inches, without pith, cut in half
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 2 small leeks, white and light-green parts only, cut into 3-inch-long matchsticks
- 6 medium carrots, peeled and cut into 3-inch-long matchsticks
- 1 3/4 cups Homemade Chicken Stock, or canned low-sodium chicken broth, skimmed of fat
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, leaves
In a medium bowl, combine scallops, orange juice, grated ginger, and vinegar; set aside.
Bring a small saucepan of water to a boil. Add orange peel, and blanch 2 minutes. Remove from heat, and julienne peel. Set aside.
Set a large, straight-sided skillet over high heat until very hot. Add oil; swirl to cover bottom. Remove scallops from marinade; pat dry. Reserve marinade. Cook scallops 2 minutes. Add julienned ginger and garlic; cook until scallops have cooked through, about 2 minutes. Transfer scallops to a covered bowl.
Add leeks, carrots, and orange peel. Season with salt. Cook 1 minute. Add stock and marinade; cover. Cook until carrots are tender, about 10 minutes. Remove lid; reduce liquid by half, about 5 minutes. Return scallops to pan; cook 1 minute. Garnish with cilantro.