Mummy's Sweet White Scones
This mouthwatering recipe for scones is courtesy of Petersham Nursery.
- 6 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for work surface
- Pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons superfine sugar
- 1 heaping tablespoon baking powder
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, chilled and cut into pieces
- 4 large eggs
- 1 3/4 cups plus 2 tablespoons milk
- Granulated sugar, for sprinkling
Preheat oven to 475 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper; set aside.
In a large bowl, whisk together flour, salt, superfine sugar, and baking powder. Make a well in the center and add butter. Using your fingers, work butter into flour mixture until a crumbly mixture is formed.
In a medium bowl, whisk together 3 eggs and milk. Add milk mixture to flour mixture and stir to combine.
Turn dough out onto a lightly floured work surface; knead lightly and shape into a round. Roll dough out until it is 1 inch thick. Using a 3-inch biscuit cutter, cut out scones and transfer to prepared baking sheets.
In a small bowl, beat remaining egg and brush the top of each scone; sprinkle each with granulated sugar. Transfer baking sheets to oven and bake until golden brown and cooked through, 12 to 14 minutes. Transfer scones to a wire rack and let cool slightly before serving.