Fregula with Asparagus and Gorgonzola
This recipe for fregula with asparagus and gorgonzola is courtesy of chef Eficio Farris and can be found in his "Sweet Myrtle and Bitter Honey" cookbook. Special thanks to Laurie Smith for providing this lovely photograph.
- Servings: 4
Source: The Martha Stewart Show, February Winter 2008
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1 medium bunch asparagus, thinly sliced
- 4 cups homemade or store-bought low-sodium chicken stock
- 2 cups fregula (small, toasted semolina pasta)
- 1/2 cup dry white wine, preferably Vermentino
- 1/2 cup Gorgonzola, crumbled
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add chopped shallot and cook, stirring, until golden. Add asparagus and continue stirring about 3 minutes more.
Place chicken stock in a second saucepan and bring to a boil.
Add fregula to saucepan with asparagus and cook, stirring constantly, about 2 minutes. Add wine and let cook until liquid has absorbed.
Add boiling chicken stock to fregula and cook, stirring constantly, until liquid is fully absorbed, about 10 minutes. Stir in Gorgonzola until well combined, then stir in remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil; season with salt and pepper. Let mixture stand a few minutes before serving.