Spinach with Crispy Chickpeas
This healthy side dish recipe is courtesy of chef Andrew Carmellini.
- 1 can (15 ounces) chickpeas (1 1/2 cups), drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, very thinly sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper, flakes
- 1 pound fresh spinach, washed and trimmed
Place chickpeas on a paper-towel-lined plate to allow any excess liquid to be absorbed.
Place flour in a deep bowl; add chickpeas and toss until completely coated with flour.
Heat 3 tablespoons olive oil in a large saucepan over high heat. When oil begins to smoke, add chickpeas, shaking pot to coat chickpeas with oil; chickpeas will begin to snap and pop. Keep shaking or stirring pan occasionally, until chickpeas are golden brown all over, about 4 minutes. Season with 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper; using a slotted spoon, transfer chickpeas to a plate and set aside.
Place pot over medium-high heat and add remaining tablespoon oil. Add garlic and cook, stirring constantly, for 30 seconds.
Add red pepper and spinach to pot and cook until spinach begins to wilt, about 1 minute; season with remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper. Continue cooking until spinach has completely wilted, about 30 seconds more.
Transfer spinach to a serving plate and top with chickpeas; serve immediately.