Coconut Cupcakes with Seven-Minute Frosting and Coconut Flakes
Calling all coconut lovers: These cupcakes get intense flavor from shredded coconut and coconut milk in the batter, billowy seven-minute frosting, and a garnish of coconut flakes.
- Yield: Makes 21
Source: Martha Stewart Living, February 2009
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup packed sweetened shredded coconut
- 6 ounces (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/3 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs, plus 2 large egg whites
- 3/4 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Seven-Minute Frosting for Lemon Meringue Cupcakes
- 1 1/3 cups large-flake unsweetened coconut
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line standard muffin tins with paper liners. Whisk flour, baking powder, salt, and sweetened coconut in a large bowl. Cream butter and sugar with a mixer until light and fluffy. Add eggs and whites, 1 at a time, beating after each addition.
Reduce speed to low. Mix coconut milk and vanilla in a bowl. Add dry ingredients to butter mixture in 3 additions, alternating with wet ingredients and ending with dry. Scrape sides of bowl. Divide batter among muffin cups, filling each 2/3 full.
Bake cupcakes until testers inserted into centers come out clean, about 20 minutes. Let cool in tins on wire racks. (Unfrosted cupcakes will keep, covered, for up to 3 days.) Once cupcakes are cool, mound frosting on tops. Sprinkle with unsweetened coconut. Serve immediately.