Under 30 Minutes
Shrimp and Tomatoes
After browning ingredients, pour off any oil, and deglaze the pan by adding water, stock, or wine, and then stirring with a wooden spoon to loosen the flavorful bits from the bottom. The liquid, bits and all, will be incorporated into the final dish.
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons olive oil
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon red-pepper flakes
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 6 plum tomatoes, cored, halved lengthwise, and sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 1 1/2 pounds medium shrimp, peeled, deveined, and tails removed
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
In a large nonstick skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over high heat; swirl to coat pan. Season shrimp with salt and ground pepper. Add half the shrimp to the pan; cook until opaque throughout, 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer to a plate; repeat with remaining 2 teaspoons oil and shrimp.
Reduce heat to medium; add garlic and red-pepper flakes. Stir in tomatoes; cook until they begin to break down, 4 to 6 minutes. Season with salt.
Return shrimp and any accumulated juices to pan. Add parsley and lemon juice; toss to coat. Serve over pasta, rice, or spinach, if desired.
SourceEveryday Food, October 2004