Rib Roast with Herb Crust
This juicy, flavorful roast works equally well as a weeknight dinner (with leftovers) or as a centerpiece for a holiday dinner.
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 teaspoons prepared horseradish
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 cup fresh breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh thyme or a mixture of equal amounts chopped fresh thyme, rosemary, and sage
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 boneless rib-eye roast (2 1/2 pounds), room temperature
Preheat oven to 400. In a small bowl, combine sour cream and horseradish; season with salt and pepper. In another bowl, combine breadcrumbs, olive oil, herbs, and garlic; season with salt and pepper.
In a large skillet, heat vegetable oil over medium-high. Season roast with salt and pepper; sear until browned on all sides, 10 minutes. Transfer to a cutting board. Spread sour cream mixture on one side of roast; top with breadcrumb mixture, pressing to adhere. Return roast to skillet or transfer to a rimmed baking sheet. Place in oven; cook until medium-rare or an instant-read thermometer inserted in center reads 140, 35 to 45 minutes. Let rest 15 minutes before slicing.