Oysters with Bloody Mary Granita
- Yield: Makes 1 dozen
Source: Martha Stewart Living, December 2006
- 1 can (14 1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup vodka or aquavit
- 4 dashes hot sauce, such as Tabasco
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 dozen fresh oysters, scrubbed
- Fresh horseradish, shaved, for garnish
- Celery leaves, for garnish
Line an 8-inch square nonreactive baking dish with plastic wrap. Puree tomatoes and juice, vodka, hot sauce, lemon juice, salt, peppers, Worcestershire sauce, and 1/2 cup water in a blender. Pour into prepared baking dish. Chill in freezer, scraping every 30 minutes with fork, until frozen, 2 to 3 hours.
Shuck oysters, leaving them on the half shell. Arrange on a bed of crushed ice. Top each with 1 teaspoon granita, and serve immediately garnished with horseradish and celery leaves.