Spinach and Pea Soup
- 5 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 3/4 cups homemade or low-sodium store-bought chicken stock
- 1 pound fresh English peas, shelled (about 1 cup)
- 8 ounces spinach (curly or flat leaf), tough stems discarded (about 6 cups packed leaves)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 3/4 cup tiny greens, such as micro greens or mache
- Parmesan Frico Bowls
Heat 4 teaspoons oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion, garlic, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and a pinch of pepper. Cook, stirring, 3 minutes. Add stock, and bring to a boil.
Add peas, and return to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until peas are tender and bright green, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in spinach. Cover, and cook, stirring occasionally, until spinach has wilted, 2 to 3 minutes.
Working in 2 batches, puree pea mixture in a blender, filling no more than halfway and adding up to 2 tablespoons water to each batch to achieve desired consistency. Stir in 1 teaspoon lemon juice, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper.
Divide the soup among 4 bowls. Toss greens with remaining teaspoon oil and 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice; season with salt and pepper. Divide salad among frico bowls. Float a frico bowl on top of each soup. Serve immediately.
SourceMartha Stewart Living, March 2007