Eggless Caesar Dressing
Caesar and romaine are a strong duo -- the lettuce is not overwhelmed by the dressing, which is also good over a tomato salad. All hail this classic dressing, with bold, briny tang from garlic, capers, anchovies, and lemon.
- Yield: Makes 1 1/2 cups
Source: Martha Stewart Living, August 2005
- 4 small cloves garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 12 anchovy fillets
- 1 tablespoon finely grated plus 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/3 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice, (2 to 3 lemons total)
- 2 tablespoon drained capers, rinsed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
Mash garlic and salt using a large mortar and pestle. Add anchovies, zest, capers, mustard, and pepper; mash to form a paste. Stir in lemon juice. Add oil in a slow, steady stream, working pestle until emulsified; work in cheese. (Or, puree all ingredients except oil and cheese in a blender. Add oil in a slow steady stream, blending until emulsified. Transfer to a bowl; stir in cheese.) Dressing can be refrigerated in an airtight container up to 3 days. Serve at room temperature.