Warm Pear Salad
Sauteed pears make this salad a satisfying start to a winter meal.
- 2 Bartlett pears, ripe but firm
- 5 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 medium red onion, thinly sliced into rings
- 2 Belgian endive, sliced crosswise into 1-inch pieces
- 1 watercress, tough stems removed
- 1/4 pound Stilton or Roquefort cheese, crumbled
- 1 1/2 teaspoons red-wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
Cut pears lengthwise into quarters. Peel, core, and cut each quarter into approximately 1-inch chuncks; place in a small bowl. Add 2 teaspoons olive oil, honey, dry mustard, salt, and pepper, and toss well.
Place a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add pears and onions, and cook, shaking the skillet a few times, until pears are golden brown and onions are slightly wilted, about 3 minutes.
Transfer pears, onions, and any juices to a bowl. Add endive, watercress, cheese, remaining olive oil, vinegar, and Worcestershire sauce, and toss together gently. Season to taste with salt and pepper, and serve warm.