Chef Marcus Samuelsson shared this recipe for plantain chutney from his cookbook, "The Soul of New Cuisine."
- Yield: Makes 4 cups
Source: The Martha Stewart Show, February Winter 2007
- 1/4 cup Spiced Butter, or 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 medium baking potatoes, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 2 medium white onions, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 piece (3 inches) fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 2 tablespoons mustard seeds
- 2 tablespoons Green Curry Paste
- 1 teaspoon chile powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom, preferably freshly ground
- 4 green plantains, peeled, quartered lengthwise, and cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- Coarse salt
- 2 scallions, trimmed and chopped
Melt butter with olive oil in a large saute pan over low heat. Add potatoes, stirring to coat, and cook, stirring, until golden brown, 10 to 15 minutes.
Add onion, garlic, ginger, mustard seeds, curry paste, chile powder, and cardamom. Stir well and cook until onions are tender, about 20 minutes.
Add plantains, and cook until softened, about 10 minutes. Let cool. Season with salt; stir in scallions just before serving. Plantain chutney may be kept in an airtight container, refrigerated up to 3 days.