Under 30 Minutes
Southwestern Turkey Burgers
To prevent burgers from sticking to the grill, wait until they form a crust before moving them.
- 1 1/2 pounds ground dark meat turkey (93% lean)
- 1 jalapeno chile, minced (ribs and seeds removed for less heat, if desired)
- 2 ounces grated Monterey Jack cheese (about 1/2 cup)
- 1/4 cup plain dried breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- Vegetable oil, for grates
- 4 hamburger buns, split horizontally
- Desired toppings
Heat grill to medium-high. In a medium bowl, place turkey, jalapeno, cheese, breadcrumbs, mayonnaise, 1 teaspoon coarse salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Mix very gently with a fork to combine, being careful not to overwork meat (which would make burgers dense).
Gently form meat into 4 equal-size patties, 4 inches in diameter and 1 inch thick. Press thumb in the center of each patty to make an indentation approximately 1/2-inch deep (this helps keep burgers flat during grilling).
Moisten a folded paper towel with oil; grasp with tongs and rub over grates. Season burgers with salt and pepper; grill until cooked throughout, 5 to 8 minutes per side. Serve on buns (toasted on grill, if you like), with desired toppings.