Asian Apple Marinade
Asian aromatics and tart green apple are quickly sauteed, drawing out their full flavor, before the remaining ingredients are added. The lingering heat of ginger and chile permeates even robust cuts of beef.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 Granny Smith apple, cored and cubed
- 1/4 cup chopped lemongrass (from 3 stalks)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 piece (1 inch) fresh ginger, sliced
- 1 fresh red finger chile, thinly sliced
- 3 whole star anise
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup tamari or regular soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons apple juice
- 1 tablespoon unseasoned rice-wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon light-brown sugar
Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add apple, lemongrass, garlic, ginger, chile, and star anise. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes.
Add the remaining ingredients, and bring to a simmer. Remove from heat, and let cool for 5 minutes before use.