Chicken with Plum Chutney
The Indian-tinged chutney enlivens these drab chicken breasts.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 4
Source: Everyday Food, September 2006
- 4 (6 to 8 ounces each) boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 medium red onion, chopped
- 1/2 jalapeno chile, (ribs and seeds removed for less heat, if desired), chopped
- 4 red plums, (about 1 pound), halved, pitted, and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/3 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 3/4 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
Season chicken with salt and pepper. In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium. Add chicken and cook until opaque throughout, about 5 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate. Set aside.
Make chutney: To skillet, add remaining 1 tablespoon oil, onion, and jalapeno; cook until softened, about 3 minutes. Increase heat to medium-high; add plums, sugar, vinegar, curry powder, ginger, and 1/4 cup water. Bring to a boil; reduce to a simmer, and cook until plums are softened and liquid is slightly syrupy, about 8 minutes.
Add chicken and any juices that have accumulated on plate; simmer until heated through, about 4 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve chicken with chutney spooned on top.