Stuffed Marrow Bones
- Servings: 6
- 3 beef marrow bones (3 inches each), split lengthwise
- 4 tablespoons clarified butter
- 2 ounces chanterelle mushrooms, cleaned and diced
- 2 ounces hen of the wood mushrooms, cleaned and diced
- 2 medium porcini mushrooms, cleaned and diced
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 slices white bread, crusts removed, bread cut into 1/3-inch dice
- 2 tablespoons diced beef marrow
- 1 tablespoon minced fines herbes (chervil, parsley, tarragon)
Bring a medium pot of water to a boil. Add the marrow bones, and boil for 10 minutes. Remove from pot, and set aside to cool. Remove, and discard any excess meat and fibers. Let stand until completely dry.
In a medium skillet, heat 2 tablespoons clarified butter over medium heat. Add the mushrooms and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms are tender.
In a second medium skillet, heat remaining 2 tablespoons clarified butter over medium heat. Add bread, and cook, stirring frequently, until brown on all sides, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel lined plate to drain.
In a medium skillet, combine marrow, sauteed mushrooms, and croutons over medium heat. Toss to combine, and cook for 2 minutes. Stir in fines herbes. Mound this mixture into each marrow bone.