Under 30 Minutes
Soba Noodles with Grilled Shrimp and Orange Dipping Sauce
Buckwheat soba noodles have a wonderful earthy flavor that's terrific with shrimp and vegetables. Serve this with any toppings you prefer, like peas, red bell pepper, mint, chopped peanuts, and a squeeze of lime. Try boneless chicken pieces instead of shrimp.
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice (from 1 orange)
- 2 tablespoons mirin (rice wine)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced jalapeno or serrano chile
- 1/2 teaspoon grated peeled fresh ginger
- 1 1/2 pounds large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Coarse salt
- 6 ounces soba (Japanese buckwheat noodles)
- Vegetable oil, for grill
- Desired toppings, such as carrot, cucumber, radish, avocado, snow peas, cilantro, and scallion
Soak eight 6-inch-long wooden skewers in water, 10 minutes. In a bowl, combine orange juice, mirin, soy sauce, vinegar, chile, and ginger. In another bowl, marinate shrimp in 3 tablespoons sauce, 10 minutes.
In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook noodles according to package instructions. Drain and rinse noodles with cold water.
Heat a grill or grill pan to medium-high. Clean and lightly oil hot grill. Thread shrimp onto skewers. Cook, turning once, until shrimp are opaque throughout, 3 minutes. Serve shrimp and noodles with desired toppings and remaining sauce for dipping.