Mendoza's Fresh Corn Polenta
This recipe is courtesy of Maricel Presilla and can be paired with her Slab Bacon In Hot Pepper-Brown Loaf Sugar Adobo recipe.
- 12 medium ears fresh corn
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons salted butter
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 large ripe tomato (13 ounces), finely chopped (about 2/3 cup)
- 4 basil leaves, thinly sliced crosswise
- 1 medium red bell pepper, roasted, seeded, and finely chopped (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups whole milk
- 2 teaspoons coarse salt
Husk corn and remove silk. Grate corn kernels on the fine side of a box grater. Set aside.
Place olive oil and butter in a large skillet over medium heat; heat until bubbling. Add onion and cook, stirring, until soft, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring, about 40 seconds. Add tomato and cook, stirring, until soft, about 5 minutes more.
Add peppers and basil and continue cooking for 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in corn and milk; season with salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until thick and creamy, about 30 minutes. Serve immediately.
SourceThe Martha Stewart Show, February Winter 2008