Pumpkin Soup with Lotus Seeds
- Servings: 8
- 2 1/2 pounds butternut squash or pumpkin, peeled, seeded, and cut into large chunks
- 6 cups water
- 2 cups homemade or low-sodium canned chicken stock
- 4 ounces (1 cup) dried lotus seeds
- 2 1/2 teaspoons fine sea salt
- 4 ounces (1 cup) pine nuts
- Scallion, thinly sliced, for garnish
Combine the squash, water, stock, and lotus seeds in a medium stockpot. Bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, and cook, covered, until squash and lotus seeds are tender, 40 minutes to 1 hour. Season with salt.
Meanwhile, in a small skillet over medium heat, toast the pine nuts until golden brown and fragrant, 5 to 10 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand until cool. Add toasted pine nuts to soup.
Using an immersion blender, puree soup. Alternatively, working in batches, puree in a blender. Serve hot, garnished with scallion.