Red-Hot Tomato Sauce
Spice up canned tomatoes with garlic, onions, and red-pepper flakes for a superb quick tomato sauce.
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- One 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red-pepper flakes, or to taste
- 1 cup loosely packed fresh basil, cut into chiffonade
Heat olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the chopped onion, stirring so that it does not brown, until soft and fragrant, 3 to 4 minutes. Add garlic, and cook, stirring another minute.
Add crushed tomatoes and their liquid. Season with salt, pepper, and red-pepper flakes. Add 2 cups cold water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer until sauce has reduced and thickened and has a deep, rich tomato flavor, about 20 minutes. Stir in basil just before serving.
SourceMartha Stewart Living, May 2000