Shrimp in Saffron Broth
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 fennel bulb, trimmed and cut into 1/4-inch dice (about 2 cups)
- 3 carrots, cut into 1/4-inch dice (about 1 cup)
- 1/2 teaspoon saffron threads
- 1 1/2 pounds large (21 to 25 count) shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock, homemade or low-sodium store-bought
- Couscous with Golden Raisins
Heat a large saute pan over medium. Add oil and heat until hot but not smoking. Cook fennel, carrots, and saffron until vegetables are starting to soften, stirring occasionally, about 4 minutes.
Season shrimp with salt and pepper; add to pan and cook 1 minute, then turn shrimp. Pour in wine and stock, and cook just until shrimp are pink and opaque throughout, about 2 minutes.
Serve shrimp, vegetables, and broth over couscous in shallow bowls.