Green Goddess Ranch Salad Dressing
A creamy homemade salad dressing, free of commercial stabilizers, is another boon for salad makers. The anchovy in this one is undetectable but adds a salty, briny flavor; you can substitute salt, if desired.From the book "Mad Hungry," by Lucinda Scala Quinn (Artisan Books).
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh chives and/or scallions
- 2 teaspoons anchovy paste, or 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons mild vinegar, such as white-wine vinegar or tarragon vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 small garlic clove, smashed and minced
- Buttermilk or milk (optional)
In a large bowl or blender, whisk or blend all the ingredients except the buttermilk. Add just enough buttermilk to thin to the desired consistency, if needed. Pour into a jar with a tight-fitting lid and refrigerate for a few hours to allow the flavors to combine. Shake well before using. Keeps in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.