Jicama and Orange Salad
Jicama is a root vegetable with a fresh, somewhat sweet taste that goes well with citrus fruits.
- 3 navel oranges
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium jicama, (about 1 pound), peeled
- 1 small red onion, sliced into thin semicircles
Slice 1 orange in half, and squeeze the juice from one half into a bowl. Add sherry vinegar, salt, and pepper; slowly whisk in oil.
Cut away peel and pith of remaining 2 1/2 oranges. Slice oranges into 3/8-inch rounds, and use your hands to pull slices apart into bite-size pieces. Set aside in a large bowl.
Cut jicama into 2-inch matchsticks. Add jicama and onions to orange pieces. Pour vinaigrette over; toss to combine.