Roasted Potatoes and Mushrooms with Melted Taleggio Cheese
Woodsy mushrooms and tangy Taleggio, a buttery Italian cheese, contrast deliciously with crisp roasted potatoes. Bake the ingredients in two dishes so you can have one at each end of the table--people may not want to share. Many mushroom varieties work well in this dish, including hon shimeji (brown beech), chanterelle, oyster, and cremini.
- 8 ounces assorted mushrooms, thinly sliced (about 3 cups)
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup loosely packed fresh sage, coarsely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, halved lengthwise
- 2 pounds small fingerling potatoes, scrubbed and sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 6 ounces Taleggio cheese (rind removed), sliced
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Toss mushrooms with 4 teaspoons oil and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Season with pepper. Toss with sage and garlic. Spread on a rimmed baking sheet, and roast until mushrooms are golden brown and tender, about 15 minutes.
Toss potatoes with remaining 5 teaspoons oil and 3/4 teaspoon salt. Season with pepper. Divide potatoes between 2 rimmed baking sheets, spreading in an even layer. Roast, rotating pans halfway through (tossing if browning too quickly), until dark golden brown and crisp, 35 to 40 minutes.
Preheat broiler with rack 6 inches from heat source. Toss together mushrooms and potatoes, and divide evenly between two 5-by-7-inch oval baking dishes. Top each with Taleggio, and broil until cheese melts and is pale golden, 2 to 3 minutes.