Poached Tropical Fruit Over Sorbet
The black peppercorns give this cool dessert a little kick.
- Servings: 4
Photography: Dana Gallagher
Source: Martha Stewart Living, November 1998
- 2 cups unsweetened pineapple juice
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons cracked black peppercorns
- 1/2 pineapple, core removed and thinly sliced
- 2 mangoes, peel and pits removed, thinly sliced
- 3 kiwis, each peeled and cut into 8 wedges
- 1 pint passion-fruit sorbet
Combine pineapple juice, sugar, 1 cup water, and peppercorns in a small saucepan. Set over high heat, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer, and cook until flavorful, about 30 minutes. Remove pan from heat, and pass liquid through a sieve set over a heatproof bowl. Discard solids.
Have ready an ice bath. Add the pineapple, mango, and kiwi to the poaching liquid, and let stand 15 minutes. Set the bowl into the ice bath; chill, stirring occasionally.
When ready to serve, divide sorbet, chilled fruit, and remaining poaching liquid among four dessert plates.