Chicken Cheesesteaks with Peppers
- Total Time:
- Servings: 4
Source: Everyday Food, October 2008
- 1 pound chicken cutlets
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, such as safflower
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 2 mixed bell peppers (ribs and seeds removed), thinly sliced
- 1 large red onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 6 ounces sliced provolone cheese
- 4 soft hoagie rolls, split lengthwise
- 1/4 cup light mayonnaise
Heat broiler, with rack set 4 inches from heat. On a rimmed baking sheet lined with aluminum foil, toss chicken with 1 tablespoon oil; season with salt and pepper. Broil, without turning, until chicken is opaque throughout, 5 to 7 minutes. Transfer to a cutting board (reserve baking sheet); let cool, and thinly slice. Set chicken aside.
On baking sheet, toss together peppers, onion, garlic, and remaining tablespoon oil. Broil, tossing occasionally, until crisp-tender and slightly charred, 8 to 10 minutes; season with salt and pepper. Add chicken to broiled vegetables; toss, and spread in a single layer.
Top chicken and vegetables with cheese; broil until cheese is bubbling, 30 seconds to 1 minute. Scoop out most of the doughy center from both halves of rolls; discard. Spread rolls with mayonnaise; fill with chicken and vegetables. Serve immediately.