- 2 pounds tomatillos (husks removed), washed and halved
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 whole chicken (3 to 4 pounds), cut into 10 pieces (wings reserved for another use)
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 2 jalapenos, chopped
- 1/2 medium white onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 can (15 ounces) hominy (optional), drained
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh, cilantro
In a food processor, puree tomatillos; set aside. In a large Dutch oven or heavy pot, heat oil over medium-high. Season chicken with salt and pepper and add to pot, skin side down. Cook until browned on one side, 6 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
Add jalapenos and onion to pot and cook, stirring frequently, until slightly softened, 3 to 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in tomatillo puree and hominy, if using; season with salt and pepper. Nestle chicken, skin side up, in sauce. Cover pot; simmer until chicken is cooked through, 22 to 25 minutes. Stir in cilantro; season with salt and pepper.
SourceEveryday Food, September 2009