Spiced Chicken Stew with Carrots
Moroccan spices and golden raisins enhance the carrots in this tagine-inspired chicken stew.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 4
Source: Everyday Food, March 2009
- 2 pounds carrots, peeled and cut into 1 1/2-inch lengths
- 8 skinless chicken thighs (about 2 1/2 pounds total)
- 1 garlic clove, thinly sliced
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1/4 cup golden raisins
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted if desired
- Couscous, for serving (optional)
Place carrots in slow cooker. In a bowl, toss together chicken, garlic, cinnamon, cumin, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; add to slow cooker. Cover, and cook on high, 4 hours (or on low, 8 hours), adding raisins 15 minutes before cooking is done.
Using a slotted spoon, transfer chicken and carrots to a dish (remove cinnamon stick); top with cilantro and almonds. Season cooking liquid with salt and pepper; spoon over chicken. Serve with couscous, if desired.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In step 1, use a 5-quart Dutch oven or ovenproof pot with a tight-fitting lid, adding 1 cup water. Cover, and bake until chicken is tender, 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Proceed with step 2.