Curly Carrot Salad
This crunchy salad has lots of flavor and color.
- Servings: 4
Photography: MARIA ROBLEDO
Source: Martha Stewart Living, April 1998
- 3 medium carrots
- 1 small head romaine lettuce
- 3/4 cup feta cheese (3 ounces), crumbled
- 1/2 cup snipped fresh dill, loosely packed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
Peel carrots, and cut them into 3-inch lengths. Using a mandoline or sturdy vegetable peeler, slice carrots into thin, translucent strips. Place strips in ice-water bath, and let stand until curly, about 20 minutes. Transfer carrots to a paper towel; blot dry.
Discard any bruised romaine leaves, and slice head into 1/4-inch-wide pieces.
Combine carrot strips, romaine, half of the cheese, dill, salt, and pepper in a large bowl. Drizzle lemon juice and olive oil over the salad, and toss to combine.
Divide among four serving plates. Top with remaining feta cheese.