Spaghetti with Green Olive Sauce
This delicious recipe for spaghetti with green olive sauce is courtesy of Mario Batali.
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3/4 cup fresh breadcrumbs
- 3 cloves garlic
- 3 salt-packed anchovies, filleted, rinsed, and chopped, or 6 oil-packed anchovy fillets, rinsed, drained, and chopped
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 cup green olives, preferably Ascolana, pitted and chopped
- 1 pound spaghetti
Bring 6 quarts water to a boil in a large pot; add 2 tablespoons salt.
Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat until very hot. Add breadcrumbs and toss until golden brown; transfer to a plate and set aside.
In a large skillet, heat remaining 3 tablespoons olive oil over medium high heat until very hot. Add garlic and cook until golden brown, about 2 minutes. Add anchovies and red pepper flakes; cook, stirring, until anchovies have dissolved, 3 minutes. Stir in olives; cook for 3 minutes. Add toasted breadcrumbs, stir to combine; season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat and set aside.
Add spaghetti to boiling water and cook until al dente according to package directions.
Drain pasta and add to skillet. Place skillet over medium heat and toss until well combined, about 1 minute. Serve immediately.
SourceThe Martha Stewart Show, January Winter 2008