Chilled Cucumber Mint Soup
A simple and refreshing summer starter, this soup takes only minutes to make.
- Servings: 4
Source: Martha Stewart Living, August/September 1992
- 4 cucumbers, peeled and seeded
- 1 small or 1/2 large clove garlic
- 1 cup plain yogurt, lowfat if desired
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, plus more to taste
- 1/4 cup water
- 4 scallions, white and green parts, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3/4 cup fresh mint leaves, loosely packed
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Cut one of the cucumbers into small dice, and set aside for garnish. Cut the others into large chunks. Combine cucumber chunks, garlic, yogurt, lemon juice, and water in a blender and puree until smooth.
Add scallions and mint leaves, reserving some of the mint for garnish, and puree briefly. Season with salt and pepper, and add more lemon juice if a tarter flavor is desired.
Chill until ready to serve. Stir well before serving, and ladle into bowls or mugs, garnishing each serving with a big spoonful of diced cucumber and a sprig of mint.