This recipe for Italian-style breadcrumbs can be found in the cookbook "The Young Man and the Sea" by David Pasternack and Ed Levine.
- 1 loaf Italian bread, torn into 2-inch pieces
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 2 teaspoons coarse sea salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place bread pieces on a baking sheet. Bake until bread is dry and crunchy, about 15 minutes. Transfer bread to a food processor and pulse to form fine crumbs; set aside.
Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a small skillet. Add garlic and cook, stirring, until it begins to brown, about 3 minutes. Add lemon zest and continue cooking until fragrant, about 30 seconds more. Add breadcrumbs, parsley, and remaining 1/2 tablespoon olive oil; stir well to combine. Season with salt and pepper; remove from heat. Breadcrumbs can be stored in an airtight container until ready to use.
SourceThe Martha Stewart Show, October Fall 2007