Celery Root and Ginger Gold Apple Soup
Try this soup recipe from chef Amanda Freitag of The Harrison for a healthy and warming autumnal meal.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 6 cups peeled, chopped celery root (from about 2 large celery roots)
- 1 cup peeled and chopped Yukon gold potatoes (from about 1 potato)
- 10 cups homemade or low-sodium store-bought vegetable stock
- 2 cups peeled, cored, and quartered ginger gold apples (from about 2 apples), plus 1 apple, cored and sliced into thin wedges, for garnish
- 1/4 cup celery leaves or leaves from celery root stem, for garnish
In a large heavy-bottomed saucepan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onion and season with salt; cook, stirring until onions are soft and translucent, 5 to 7 minutes. Add celery root, potato, and vegetable stock; reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until potatoes are soft, 15 to 20 minutes.
Add apples and continue simmering for 5 minutes. Remove saucepan from heat and puree using an immersion blender or, working in batches, using a conventional blender; season with salt and pepper. Serve immediately garnished with apple slices and celery leaves.