Lentil and Bulgur Soup
Simple yet substantial, this warming soup combines vegetables with whole-grain bulgur and fiber-rich lentils for a hearty main course.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 1 medium carrot, finely chopped
- 1 celery stalk, finely chopped
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced
- 6 cups water
- 1 cup green or brown lentils, rinsed and picked over
- 1/2 cup bulgur wheat
- 2 to 3 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Cook carrot, celery, and shallot until tender, about 6 minutes. Add water and lentils, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer, partially covered, until lentils are tender, about 20 minutes.
Stir in bulgur, and cook, partially covered, until bulgur is tender but still slightly chewy, about 5 minutes.
Drizzle with vinegar to taste. Season with salt and pepper. Drizzle with oil, and season with pepper.