Pressed Mozzarella and Tomato Sandwich
No panini press needed: For the easiest Italian lunch, crusty bread, good cheese, and a couple of cans will do just fine.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 2
Source: Everyday Food, March 2007
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, drained, reserving 1 tablespoon oil
- 1/2 loaf ciabatta bread (about 5 ounces), split horizontally and hollowed out
- Romaine lettuce leaves
- 6 ounces fresh mozzarella, sliced
- 1/2 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley, leaves
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
In a small bowl, whisk together mustard and oil until thick; spread on bread. Layer bottom half of bread with some of the lettuce, then cheese, tomatoes, and parsley. Season with salt and pepper. Top with remaining lettuce and bread.
Wrap sandwich tightly in plastic; place on a baking sheet. Top with another sheet, and weight down with canned goods or a heavy skillet. Refrigerate at least 1 hour and up to overnight to meld flavors. Cut in half, and serve.