Confectioners' Sugar Icing
Use this recipe when making Ghoulish Petits Fours.
- Yield: Makes about 7 cups
Source: Martha Stewart Living, October 2003
- 1 1/2 cups unsalted butter, (3 sticks), room temperature
- 3 pounds confectioners' sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup milk, plus more if needed
In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat together the butter and sugar until well combined. Add salt, vanilla, and milk; beat until icing is smooth and creamy. The icing should be thick enough to pipe and hold its shape. If icing seems too thick, add 1 tablespoon milk at a time until proper consistency is reached. Use immediately, or refrigerate in an airtight container up to 2 days. If refrigerating, bring icing to room temperature before using, and lightly beat until creamy if necessary.